Capturing Iridescence




F. (2016, February 27). Fancyfairywings. Retrieved August 06, 2017, from http://fancyfairywings.tumblr.com/post/140100965450/the-magical-iridescent-beauty-of-vanessa-walton


My plans for this project:

I plan to capture a more holographic iridescence with this piece while also giving a majestic feeling, which I feel is depicted wonderfully in the reference picture. I have decided to not use any of the reference images that placed the focus farther away. I wanted the holographic suit to be the center of attention. However, I am still undecided on the remaining 3 because I have not picked a background yet. I am leaning towards 2 as of right now.

The medium that I have decided to use is oil paints. I have experience with oil painting, and I know that it is easy to create smooth skin textures, which this reference has a lot of. I feel like it is also easy to paint hair with oil paints. You can also manipulate the density of the paint using varying mixing mediums. Downsides to using oils are that the drying time is way longer than most paints. This could mean the potential smearing of paint on accident. Also, it's going to be a challenge trying to paint that little of a face, where pencils are more precise.

Like the picture, I wanted the colors to be soft and whimsical, yet bright enough to capture the iridescence I was looking for. Pale neons, if that makes any sense at all. I also want the skin to be quite bronze, so the paleness of the outfit will contrast.

Progress: 




Artist Reflection:

I changed the skin from the reference to be slightly more warm toned to better play off of the cool toned outfit that the model is wearing. I also changed the headpiece to be solid instead of more intricate, because it would have been impossible to get those small details.

I had a couple disappointments along the way, such as the bodysuit she is wearing. The colors and shadows were too complicated to make it exactly like the picture, but I think I did well. I also feel her eyes are a bit wonky. But those hands make up for everything. LOOK AT THOSE HANDS. If I could alter anything, it would be the face.

My final thoughts are that I believe this is the best thing I've created to this day. The shading on the skin is beautiful, and I can't wait to paint more things like this. I also feel like I achieved my goal of getting that holographic iridescence, but also simplifying it. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Emulating Animal Attributes

Capturing Motion & Specialized Movement