Human Emulating Animal Attributes

Tid Bits. (n.d.). Retrieved August 06, 2017, from http://miss-mosh.deviantart.com/art/Tid-Bits-164454106
My Plans For This Project:
I plan to show the human adaptation of a black widow. I want the model to be mysterious and look like she's keeping secrets. The idea is to have a woman who has killed her previous husbands for their life insurance money. That's what I hope to be implied anyway. Out of the thumbnails, I feel like the 4th one has the best composition. It isn't too distracting from her face, and I like the position of elements.
I have chosen to use oil for this painting (duh?). For me, oil can easily create smooth skin and well defined hair, which is in the center of this peace, and overall the biggest element. This should be an easy medium for this piece. However, oil could potentially take forever to dry, thus making a mess easier and allowing for more accidents. (which did inevitably occur.)
My color scheme is going to be light and dark neutral colors, but with bright pops of color. The bow would be a bright red to draw attention to it, which also subtly hints at the red hourglass on a black widow. The eyes would also be bright so it grabs your attention to her unsettling stare.
Progress:
Artist Reflection:
I added a few extra parts to the overall piece to give it a more complete look. I had plans to change the clothing, but I felt that the original would be a better way to show different textures. I had also changed the original idea altogether multiple times. I had wanted to do a tiger, then a monkey, but I thought this idea was the most unique.
I had originally felt that the skin would be just as easy as usual, but with the lack of shadows in the reference, I also feel like my piece is lacking shadows. I also feel like her left eye is a little misshapen. I also think the knife is rather long and just not well done. I also was completely stumped on what to do for the lettering on the insurance papers. If I could change just one thing, it would be the knife that doesn't even look like a knife.
Overall, I like this piece, but it is not my best. The face and skin could have been better, and the added components. I really like the hair, and that bow is so beautiful to look at. I feel like I completed the idea of hinting at the attributes, and remaining 100% human.






Comments
Post a Comment